Toby Digrugillier's Insights

Friday, May 2, 2008

Don't Worry - Be Happy by Toby Digrugilliers

I'm reminded of the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

"Here is a little song I wrote
You might want to sing it note for note
Don't worry be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy......

Ain't got no place to lay your head
Somebody came and took your bed
Don't worry, be happy
The land lord say your rent is late
He may have to litigate
Don't worry, be happy
Look at me I am happy
Don't worry, be happy
Here I give you my phone number
When you worry call me
I make you happy
Don't worry, be happy
Ain't got no cash, ain't got no style
Ain't got not girl to make you smile
But don't worry be happy
Cause when you worry
Your face will frown
And that will bring everybody down
So don't worry, be happy (now).....

There is this little song I wrote
I hope you learn it note for note
Like good little children
Don't worry, be happy
Listen to what I say
In your life expect some trouble
But when you worry
You make it double
Don't worry, be happy......
Don't worry don't do it, be happy
Put a smile on your face
Don't bring everybody down like this
Don't worry, it will soon past
Whatever it is
Don't worry, be happy."

Cute song and good advice. Worrying is not pleasing to our Savior and shows great LACK of faith. However, Psalm 37:1&2 says, "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb."

But with this advice to "Don't worry" or "fret not" comes another thought that requires consideration. There is something to be said about planning and dong all you can to put yourself in a position that you need not to worry.

There once was a farmer who need help around the farm. In an interview with a prospective hired hand, the answer was given in response to the question, "Why should I hire you?" "I sleep when it storms." Well the farmer thought this was an strange answer but liked the guy and hired him based on answers to his other questions.

Well, one day a great big storm came and the farmer was running all over and screaming for the hired hand to make ready for the storm. When he finally found him he found him asleep in the bunk house. The farmer asked, "what are you doing? Don't you know a storm's a coming? Get up we need to get ready." The hired hand said, "I told you when you hired me that I sleep when the storm comes." Well, come to find out that all the things the farmer thought needed to be done in preparation for the storm was already done!

The hired hand followed the admonition in Ephesians 6:13, "...and having done all, to stand."

Yes we are not to worry. Yes, we are to trust in our Lord, but we too must do all we are to do so we don't have to worry and after having done all, just stand and trust Him for the rest.

There is a lot going on in the world that will cause many to "fret." High gas prices, cost of food rising along with shortages. May I encourage you to do all you can to "prepare for the storm" and then after having done all, "Stand." "Fret not thyself because of evildoers..." Next week, we'll look at verse three of Psalm 37. Till then, God bless and, "Don't worry, be happy!"

No comments: